Thursday, August 20, 2009

Invisible Rules...We All Have Them, and None of Them Work!

Changing others in my life is a great topic considering it is the very basis of all of my pain and disappointments.

Why?

Because everyone in my life should follow "THE RULES."

What are the rules? Umm...I really don't know.

They change everyday and totally depend on the situation. However, I expect everyone, especially my husband, to know what they are. For instance, if I have had a long day, (I work too), and the kids are all going crazy, then my hubby comes home from work and asks me, "Honey, what's for dinner?"
What's for dinner? Alert! A "RULE" has been broken. Don't ask me what's for dinner! Can you not tell that I am overwhelmed, busy, irritated and not in the mood for one more nagging question?

Then one simple question becomes a four hour conversation about how he is insensitive and obnoxious. Why? Because he broke the most important RULE.

ALWAYS KNOW HOW I FEEL, AND IF YOU CAN'T TELL, THINK ABOUT IT AND GUESS!

(But you better guess correctly because if you are wrong, there may be hell to pay for it.)

So the next day he comes home and doesn't say a stinking word. By then I am calm, and wondering, "Why is he so quiet?"

ALERT! Another rule is broken. DON'T IGNORE ME AND SHUT DOWN. YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO WANT TO TALK TO ME!

See, the truth of the matter is all these RULES I make up are simply that. Made up! And no one will ever live by our rules. The guy on the freeway will always go too fast or too slow. It will rain on your kids' outdoor birthday party that you have been planning for months. People and "life" break these RULES all the time.

So today, the lesson for me is that the only RULES that will ever get me anywhere are the RULES I make for myself. Otherwise, I end up pissed off and angry! And that ruins my day and makes my family scatter like little roaches when they see me!

So if you're tired and your hubby comes home and asks, "What's for dinner?"

It might be better to say, "Wendys," and then spend 15 dollars to save you and your family a lot of grief!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Jodi. I always look forward to reading your posts. I've looked up to you since the 7th grade. Thanks for being who you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Becky! Thank you so much! Ditto to you also. This post was more serious but relationships are serious too right? Thanks again for all your support. Everyone loves a fan! You rock! Havent seen you on FB lately! Whats up with that? hehehe . Miss ya but grateful for your comments on my blog. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK I laughed so hard, that is so me too. I tell Todd that he shouldn't try and figure me out, because I always change and what work or didn't work yesterday won't always work today. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! that is so true. That's why books about trying to figure us out are stupid. If we cant figure us out, how can they?

    ReplyDelete