Sunday, July 26, 2009

Life is a Balancing Act

In case you are wondering... I can't do it all! I know, unfortunately I'm just as surprised as you are. I work, I am at home with my kids, I'm part of a leadership position in my church, my father-in-law is going through chemo (which is absolute hell...in case you've never been through it), and today I got chastised by some hypocrite.

I can't do it anymore.

And you know what's even more pathetic, 80% of my pain is me! I place such high expectations on myself. Then I end up feeling guilty for not meeting all of those expectations.

Where do these expectations come from, and why am I so loyal to them?

I ran a 5k yesterday and finished at 29 minutes. My goal was 30minutes!
Five minutes after the race, when I got done breathing for dear life, and the feeling in my legs began to come back, I turned to my hubby and said, "I'm so proud. Next year my goal is 21 minutes."

Where did I get the number 21 minutes? I have no clue. I just make up these ideas and think, "Yeah, that's good. That's the new rule."

If someone else would have said, "Good job, next time make it 21 minutes."

I would have rubbed their face in my sweaty arm pit and thought, "Moron."

But somehow, I say it to myself and think, "Wow! Great idea!"

I have a lot to learn....



1 comment:

  1. Only run as fast as you can. :) I see you've definitly still kept up the running thing. What in the heck happened to me?? Wondering how some people seem to keep good habits while most of us loose the will. Hmmmm.... I love your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete